Hey everyone! This is Valerie, one of the writers for GeekyKool and one of the super nerdy librarians hosting our first ever LibraryCon next week! Cue epic fangirl flail! LibraryCon is something that my supervisor and I have been crazy excited about since last year when we decided to take the plunge. We wanted to introduce fandoms and geek culture to our patrons (people who come to the library) who might not ever get a chance to go to a con. Our goal is to provide a free and fun experience for all ages and showcase the awesome nerd culture that is thriving in Southwest Missouri.
We have found a mix of professional and indie artists, authors, and Cosplayers to present on our 3 panels. There will also be a screening of “Drifter: Lonesome Highway” on Friday night with a question/answer panel with the director and cast members. On Saturday we will screen “Midwest in Panels” a road-trip documentary about Comic book stores in the Midwest. Unfortunately the creator will not be able to host that night night due to prior engagements. However, Josh Roberts from Comic Cave will hang out and talk about his experience in the Comic Store world.
In the rest of the library you will find other authors, illustrators, geeky groups, cosplay heroes (maybe even a villain or two), and lots of fun. Guests are welcome to come in costume just please keep it family friendly and leave your weaponry at home. I have included our press release below with a list of panelists and times. In addition, Fanatics and the Fan will be doing a live broadcast at the event.
So get your geek on and join us for hopefully a new annual Con at Springfield Greene County Library Center!
Where will you find authors, illustrators, movie makers and costumed fans this summer? At The Library’s first-ever LibraryCon! Join us July 24-25 at the Library Center for film screenings, panel discussions, special guests and more. You don’t need no stinkin’ badges to attend this comic and pop culture convention, and all programs are free! Family-friendly cosplay is welcome and encouraged, but please leave all weaponry at home.
Join us for these LibraryCon events: Please note that there will be no artists or illustrators on Friday. We are just showcasing the awesome talent of the Drifter crew.
Friday, July 24
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. for age 13 and older in the auditorium. “Drifter: Lonesome Highway” Screening and Q&A. Watch three episodes from the second season of “Drifter,” rated PG-13, a Web series produced and filmed in Springfield, and set in a post-second civil war Midwest landscape. Enjoy a Q&A with the cast and director Jason Brasier after the screening.
Saturday, July 25
- 11:15 a.m. for children of all ages in the Story Hour Room. Fandom Starts Early Storytime. Geek out at storytime as we read, sing and play games about the best fandoms for your kids. Special guests might be there in costume!
- 1 p.m. in the auditorium. How to Cosplay. Learn about making costumes and getting involved in the local cosplay scene from a panel of area cosplayers. Special Guests include:
- Brandon Lauthern from Eternal Armory
- Members from Heros Alliance
- Costume Guild of the Ozarks
- Anna Colston and Breanna Hassinger
- 2:30 p.m. in the auditorium. Author Panel. Authors will talk about their writing and their journeys to publication.
- Chris T. Acadian, “The Shifter”
- Bethany Hagen, “Landry Park
- Holly Schindler, “Feral”
- 4 p.m. in the auditorium. Illustrator Panel. Comic book creators and illustrators will discuss their work. Special Guests:
- David Faught
- Adam McGlaughlin
- Ryan Wheaton
- Jared George
- Kristina Murdaugh
- GeekyKool creator, Larry Litle will moderate this Panel
- 6 p.m. for age 13 and older in the auditorium. “The Midwest in Panels” Screening. Join us for a special screening of the Kickstarter-funded documentary, “The Midwest in Panels,” rated PG-13, a road trip documentary featuring comic book stores throughout the Midwest. Josh Roberts from Comic Cave will be hanging out afterwards to talk about his experience running a store.